Wednesday, February 11, 2015

PaSRBA

Hello everyone!  This past weekend was a very busy and exciting weekend for me.  I have talked about ARBA and Farm Show, but this time, I want to write about PaSRBA!  PaSRBA, the Pennsylvania State Rabbit Breeders Association Convention, started on Friday and ended on Sunday.  There was a royalty contest for the youth to participate in with winners announced at the Youth Banquet on Saturday night.  After submitting a lengthy application by January 1st, all of the contestants judge four groups of four rabbits, complete breed ID, and attend a face to face interview. For the judging, you have to place four rabbits the way that you think a rabbit judge would place them in each class, and you only have seven minutes to do it.  As for the Breed ID, there are at least 25 rabbits and/or cavies (guinea pigs) that you have to identify by writing on a sheet of paper:  the breed of the animal, it's variety that it would be shown under, if it is shown under four class (a small rabbit) or six class (a larger rabbit), and finally, the registration variety.  Duke, Duchesses, Princes, Princesses, Lords, and Ladies are required to do Showmanship as well.  Instead of doing Showmanship, the Kings and Queens have to prepare a 3 - 5 minute presentation.  The top two get to present their presentation at the banquet.  All of the youth participating in the royalty contest, will have to take a written test.  The ages for each of the categories are as follows:  King (Boys, Ages 15-18 years), Queen (Girls, Ages 15-18 years), Duke (Boys, Ages 12-14 years), Duchess (Girls, Ages 12-14 years), Prince (Boys, Ages 9-11 years), Princess(Girls, Ages 9-11 years), Lord(Boys, Ages 5-8 years), Lady(Girls, Ages 5-8 years).

I ran for Duchess and I always love to participate in this contest. Two of my favorite events include Breed ID and showmanship. I also like the interview because, well, I like to talk to people! When it finally came to the time of the banquet, I was very excited! After everyone ate their food, we held an auction with some amazing items to raise money for our program.  I was proud to have donated an Angora scarf that I had woven at the Pa Farm Show as well as a pair of fingerless mitts that I had knit with my own Angora yarn.  The scarf and mitts sold for over $200 and that money will go back to help fund the youth program I enjoy so much!  

So, after a lot of studying and preparing for this contest, I was about to learn how I did.  I am very fortunate as my county 4-H program works really hard to help educate our members so we are prepared for the contests.  So many of the youth did such a great job representing this wonderful event!  For breed ID, I won 1st, third for Showmanship, and fifth in judging! I was very pleased with how I did in those three categories, and it was time for the royalty announcements! Lord and Lady are announced first, then Prince and Princess, Duke and Duchess, and finally King and Queen. When they began announcing the Duchess category, I was so nervous.  I could hardly believe it when they said, "The 2015 PsARBA Duchess is, Madison Shaw!" My head was spinning.  By Sunday, I already was beginning to think of things I could do to help promote this fantastic industry in a positive light.  The program has helped me grow so much as an individual and I am extremely proud to be a part of it.

I also want to say how proud I am for all of the other youth with how well they did and how nice this year's PaSRBA convention was because of all of the volunteers. Thanks for making this year's convention great! 



Breed ID awards

Awards!

Duchess! 
                                
                                          The 2015 royalty court! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It may take awhile for your comment to be posted because I need to approve them to keep out the spam.