Thursday, May 15, 2014

Busy, busy, busy...

Hope you're all enjoying the beautiful spring weather.  I know I am.  All my goat kids are healthy and growing, Peek-A-Boo is settled in, and now we even added a few more Dexters to my brothers herd.  Dexters are a miniature breed of beef cattle.  They are a recovering species on the North America Livestock Conservancy.  On Monday, my mom, Tyler, and I traveled to Claysville, Pennsylvania where we picked up a cow and a little heifer calf.  The cow happens to be the mom of the cow we already have.  So now we have Rosalind and Dream.  Tyler named the little calf Daisy.  She's adorable.  Of course we also have the bull named Macbeth.  

So, the first day they were here, Tyler took out Rosalind, brushed her, groomed her, cleaned her udder, and actually milked her.  She seemed like she enjoyed it!  The whole time he was doing that, Dream was just watching.  We've tried to milk Dream in the past, but she never stood for it, but she watched as Rosalind was getting all this attention.  When Tyler was finished, Dream actually put her nose in the halter as if to say, "Hey, my turn."  Tyler took her out and thought he'd give it a try, and guess what?  She stood for him!  Now, we get to make even more cheese from not only the yummy milk from my goats, but now from A2/A2 milk from the cows too!  We made our first batch last night.  You should see the amount of cream we get from this milk...  Ok, I just have to say it... Holy Cow!  hehe...

So our dinner was homemade lasagna with my mom's pasta, ricotta from my goats, mozzarella, homemade spaghetti sauce, homemade bread, and fried cheese.  Just delicious!

Our Yummy Dinner!

Tyler and Daisy bonding time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Madi,
    I love your blog and hearing about your animals, your schooling and your jelly making! I never knew you can make jelly from dandelions and violets. I'll have to check out some recipes and give it a try. I can't wait to read your next post. Loraine Sersch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep at dinner time some day!! Everything looks delish!! Donna

    ReplyDelete

It may take awhile for your comment to be posted because I need to approve them to keep out the spam.