Monday, May 5, 2014

Weeds... I Think NOT!

It's SPRING and for me, that means time to pick flowers, lots, and lots of flowers!  No, not daffodils or other spring surprises, I like to pick dandelions and violets.  While most people see these beautiful purple and yellow flowers as weeds, I see the yummy goodness that we can't wait for.  For several years now, my mom and I have been making special jams and jellies with all the wonderful things nature has to offer.  We find ourselves scanning neighboring yards and fields for anything that can be used for different flavors.  Of course we always do our homework to make sure that whatever we us is safe, but let me just tell you, our jelly only contains juice from whatever treasure we pick, sugar, lemon juice, and sometimes pectin.  There, that's it, nothing that is trouble to pronounce and the best part, all natural.  (did you know you can make your own pectin?)  I can post about that later.  

So while others are looking at those yellow and purple flowers as weeds, spraying them with nasty pesticides that are helping to kill off our honey bees, know that I look forward to those flowers.  They are one more of natures many gifts to us.  What's that saying?  When life throws you lemons, make lemonade.  When life throws you lots of violets or dandelions, learn from me, give it a try, make some jelly!  It's delicious!
Lots of violets
Picking Violets
Picking dandelions 
Isn't it beautiful?

Well, gotta go have some jelly bread to eat now!



12 comments:

  1. You...young lady.. Are quite the inspiration! Who knew those pesky little yellow flowers were useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to come up some time and have a day to make that jelly!

      Delete
  2. I agree. I've had your dandelion jelly. It's an empty jar and has been for a long time. Nothing better than home made all natural. Looking forward to how to make my own pectin. Keep up the good work kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you! I will be making more on Saturday, come on up... You can even spend some time with the goat kids....Since you love them so much. hehehe

      Delete
  3. Great writing Madi! I never knew you can use these for jelly! I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When life throws you lemons...make lemonade! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Madi! I love your perspective, and we LOVE the dandelion jelly you and your mom brought to us! Good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it! I hope you can come up and have a fiber mill day soon.

      Delete
  6. Your training and your life are fantastic! I wish I would have been so knowledgeable at your age! Please continue your special training...so I can learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Say, I wonder what kind of cheese could be made with the flavoring of violets?

    ReplyDelete

It may take awhile for your comment to be posted because I need to approve them to keep out the spam.