Friday, August 1, 2014

Boo the sheep...

Hi everyone! Hope you all are well. We have all been working hard! The Mill is almost there, we're making yarn, and able to start receiving fleeces from others.  We see the light! 

Recently, My Leceister Longwool sheep Boo had an accident when he fell though the floor of the run-in shed in his pen! Coincidentally, this happened when our vet was here to check my goats for 4-H fair.  Boo wasn't getting up! Our vet said, "give him a shot of Flunixin and hopefully he'll get up in a bit."  I gave him three cc. of Flunixin and he still couldn't get up anymore! Cindy, the vet, came back and checked him again. His back was actually twisted out of place from his fall so he couldn't move his legs.  She suggested to make a sling for him or take him swimming! Needless to say, we spent that night making a sling.  I'm really lucky that my family is able to make just about anything. 

Well, with a lot of persistence, Boo is now able to stand up and use all of his legs.  Don't get me wrong, he still has a bit of healing to do yet, but he is up, moving, and getting stronger every day!  I'm really hopeful that he will make a full recovery and be back to himself real soon.

Boo right after his accident.  I covered him because it was raining.


When we found him, we had to work very hard and carefully to move him to the barn.  Since it was raining and taking us a while, I covered him up until my brother could get the wagon to help us.

This is Boo in his sling. 
We actually put him in his sling several times a day to help him.  It must have helped because he is now standing and doing much better.  I'm still keeping him in the barn for a few more weeks until he has his strength back.  I don't want him to get hurt again.  In case you're wondering, we've fixed the flooring on the goat house so that it won't happen again.

Here's Boo now
This picture is of Boo this morning.  Don't you just love that face?  And, look, he's standing on all 4 legs!  Wait-a-go Boo.

1 comment:

It may take awhile for your comment to be posted because I need to approve them to keep out the spam.