Sunday, April 13, 2014

WOW, What a day....

They're here, they're here, they're finally here.  I told you all about Peek-a-boo Lace last weekend and today, on what has been the most beautiful day of spring so far, the Shelly's delivered her here.  Not only did they bring Peek, but they also brought the other two little girls I fell in love with while I was at their farm last week.  I already told you about the one, but I decided to get two.  :)  I guess they're like Lays Potato Chips.....  

Well, they arrived around 1:30 and it was already about 75 degrees outside.  When we opened the truck, Peek-a-boo was a bit stressed and hot.  We carefully lifted her down off the truck and got the babies out too.  We took them into the barn where it was a lot cooler for them all.  I got Peek some fresh, cool water, but she wasn't ready to drink it.  We spent a little while just petting her and talking to her, of course she understood everything I said.  The babies just settled right in.  We practiced with Peek-a-boo getting onto the milking stand which she did, reluctantly at first, but she did okay with it.  

After she cooled down a bit, we took her into the goat pen with all the other goats.  I introduced her to Clover, my two-year old nanny.  They weren't too impressed with each other at first, but didn't seem to mind each other.  I then went and made bottles for the two new girls which they inhaled; and then, I took them to the pen too.  The babies really enjoyed jumping on the logs and things laying in the pen.  They settled right in.  We walked away and kept them all in the pen.  Peek-a-boo really seemed to enjoy being out with them all.  Around 5:00, I brought Clover and Peek-a-boo back into the barn.  I fed and milked them both.  Right now, Clover and Peek are together and they seem to like one another.  I will keep checking them through the night, but when Peek and Clover are alone, they cry, when they are together, they seem happy and not stressed.  Have you ever heard Nubians cry?  They make a lot of noise! 

I can't thank the Shelly's enough for bringing the girls here today and spending all the time with me that they did.  It's so great to know that between my vet, 4-H leaders, and the Shelly's that if I ever have any questions or problems, they would all help.

Introducing.....   Esther-Ella

Introducing....  Luna


Add caption

Peek-A-Boo


3 comments:

  1. Madi,
    How large is your herd now?!! I love that Peek understands everything you say. They're very lucky goats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri, I now have Peek-a-boo and Clover, both in milk. I also have six kids. They're a lot of work, but we're down to just two bottles a day. Clover and Peek-a-boo are giving me enough milk for them all. I will soon be able to use the milk for cheese! I also have the angoras - Willow and her baby Ella, Aurora & Borealis, the buck Cottonball, and my Nubian buck Shoey! Whew - that's everyone! Then of course my rabbits, cavies, and my little mini horse, Journey....

      Delete

It may take awhile for your comment to be posted because I need to approve them to keep out the spam.